Thursday, April 28, 2005

As some of you know, in my EMT training I was fortunate enough to deliver three infants into the world while working at General Hospital in Downtown. Though it was incredibly disgusting and messy, it was an awesome experience that I will never forget.

Today, I was Downtown to get my ambulance driver's license when I hear a large black woman yelling from across the street. Immediatly I turn around thinking something was wrong or that there was somekind of emergency going on. As I saw this woman come closer to me, she started waving saying, "Doctor, doctor, hello!" It took me a second to react because I haven't been called doctor since my clinicals. And then I realized who I was looking at. The last time I saw this woman she was in the birthing position and I now she was pushing a stroller with a beautiful five and half month old girl. It was November 8th at about 3am when I delivered her.
We talked for a few minutes and I walked away amazed for a couple reasons.
  1. How did the mother recognize me?
  2. Out of all the people in LA, how did I get to see one of three children I delivered.
I felt pretty charged up after that. My steps are light again. I also found that I want a black child in the future. I can make that happen in one of two ways...

3 comments:

ms. tea said...

now that is a beautiful story. when i was little i really wanted a black baby, my mom even bought me little black baby dolls

kcs said...

Completely unrelated but... does the Roland link take you to where I think it does?

Sycz said...

It takes you to roland morgan's web site. Is that what you where thinking?