Saturday, July 30, 2005

An Observation

I just finished reading High Fidelity today. A great read. It actually kind of hit home, with some of the points that Nick Hornby makes about relationships.

Anyways, there is a point made near the end of it that the main protagonist, Rob Flemming, makes about how men view love. It states, "...It's much harder to get used to the idea that my little-boy notion of romance, of negliges and candlelit dinners at home and long, smoldering glances, had no basis in reaity at all. That's what women ought to get all steamed up about; that's why we can't function properly in a relationship. It's not the cellulite or the crow's feet. It's the ...the...the disrespect."

He also mentions the level of abasement that men expect from women and how the old movie "looks", the ones that Ursula Andress gave to Sean Connery, the ones that Doris Day gave to Rock Hudson(you know, those movie looks), are false hopes we as men have.

Stopping to think about this, I realize the point of pragmatism that has to be in a relationship yet there is this hopelessness in this thought process that bothers me. Maybe it's the idealist in me but I think true romance is still alive. And by romance I mean that "look." That point of enchantment where everything is right.

In the past week, I got to see those precious moments at work. Seeing wives of terminally ill patients, seeing utter hope in their faces, and seeing that look of love in their faces, makes me believe that their love toward their spouse is one that film, movies, pictures, could never capture. It's those looks that makes me believe their is more. That love is as prevalent today as ever before. And I get to see a little bit of what God's love is like.

I can't come close to what these moments are really like. You can only see them. Not really describe them.

4 comments:

KMOB said...

i'm pickin up what you're throwin down

chris kottre said...

hi sycz...

i used to know you...
i stumbled across you here...
i just started blogging...
i'm not good at it yet...
i miss you...


chris kottre...

chris kottre said...

ha...

i love telling the story of my first U2 experience via the goodness of the elvis slots... you were right there baby, my muse...

we have to catch up man...

chris kottre said...

whats your email address?
i'm sure your fans are getting sick of my personal posts here in your comment section...