Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Years Eve has never really been fun for me. Aside from one year at our half-way-house in La Mirada where I woke up on the roof at about 6am, freezing my ass off, NYE has always been a bummer. And it's entirely my fault. For some reason I make the day my own personal Yom Kippur. While everyone else looks forward to the New Year as a fresh start, I can't help but think about the past and see all my regrets, my mistakes and other shitty things that have happened in the past year. And as for bad years, this one was pretty bad.

I know. I know. Cry me a river.

Regardless, I'm glad that 2007 is over. That year kicked my ass. Not that today is any different than yesterday, I just hope it can be. Somehow. Magically. Poof... New Year we start from scratch. Today will be better regardless of what happened yesterday.

But I can't think like that. Unless it's Opening Day. That's when the heart is full of hope and "next year" is finally here. I can saw that my "new year" is actually when baseball begins again. David Hume thought it erroneous to assume that since something has always happened the same way that it will continue to do so. Just because the Cubs have not won the World Series in 100 years, does not means they will not do it this year.

I think that I need to apply this thought process to my life. I need to believe I will win my World Series.

Regardless of my personal grumblings, it was excellent to see the Hamiltons yesterday. Along with the peoples from Long Beach, as Long Beach might as well be another country as far away as it is. And also Greg because he said I look like Cap Anson.

And as it is the new year, I've been looking at new place to move to. The PNW looks mighty fine. I promise I won't turn into a weirdo craft-happy hippy.

8 comments:

J. Giunta said...

zing!
Hey kids, remember, simi valley is closer than long beach.

brenbot said...

i second that notion.

kcs said...

MS, you have yourself a happy new year. Do it!

Matt Pool said...

We'll join you in the PNW. Just say when.

lindsay anne said...

please please please please move to the PNW. I'm there in two months.

and, I have always hated New Years as well. I get stupidly bummed. But this year, I decided that its just any other day. and while 07 was really really difficult, I made it through and I am looking forward to the future.

and I'm looking forward to all of us moving away. do it!

KMOB said...

i am slightly shocked you have not spoken to me about this moving business. you know i can give you guidance....

dmh said...

http://www.cu-portland.edu/hhs/undergraduate/social_work.cfm

tamrobot said...

no moving allowed.